Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
Rental Car Facility
The Sea-Tac Airport consolidated Rental Car Facility (RCF) is a five-story, 2.1 million-square-foot structure that supports all airport-related rental car operations at one convenient location. It is designed to meet the current and future demands of the traveling public, which is expected to reach 45 million annual passengers by 2025. The facility greatly improves the size, space, and efficiency of rental car operations that were previously spread out from the main terminal garage and multiple off-site locations. The RCF is the largest rental car facility with a green building LEED® Silver certification.
• Five–level facility covers 23 acres or approximately 2.1 million square feet
• The facility includes Quick Turn Around (QTA) facilities, four operational floors (ready/return), with the 5th floor including a Bus Plaza, Customer Service Building and employee parking.
• The facility processes 12-14,000 rental cars on a peak day.
• A consolidated compressed natural gas (CNG) busing operation shuttles customers between the main terminal and the RCF saving emissions and traffic congestion.
• 20 shuttle buses used at peak periods with less than three minute waiting times
• Each of the four operational floors cover 400,000 square feet or 10 acres.
• 5,400 vehicles can be accommodated or 1,250 per operational floor
• The four QTAs include 22 car washes, 48 gas pumps, 48 vacuums, plus minor maintenance service and support area
• The QTAs are designed reclaim, filter and reuse 85% of the water used to wash cars.
• The customer service building covers 50,000 square feet
• 3,900 jobs were created over construction as well as $25 million in local taxes
The RCF is LEED® Silver certified, established by the U.S. Green Building Council. This is currently the largest consolidated rental car facility in the nation to be certified Silver by the USGBC, the nation’s preeminent program for high performance green buildings. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is the nation’s preeminent program for green building certification.
Revised Total Program Cost - $419.3 million
|Consolidated Facility – RCF
(Includes construction, design, early work, art and environmental costs)
|Bus Maintenance Facility
|Off-site Road Improvements
|Main Terminal Improvements
|Bus Purchase (29 Compressed Natural Gas)
A customer facility charge (CFC) added to each car rental ($6 per transaction day) will pay for virtually the entire cost of the project, with the additional non-CFC costs covered through non-aeronautical revenue funds. The lease with the rental car companies will match the length of time required to pay off the bonds, which is expected to be 30+ years.
Additional Projects – Bus, Roads
The project also included off-site road improvements to the local roadway network, including the creation of a direct access on-ramp to eastbound SR-518 and the addition of another lane to the International Blvd. bridge over SR-518 for westbound exiting directly into the RCF. This will reduce the number of vehicles on the airport expressway and the congestion at the airport drives.
In addition, a 22,000 square foot bus maintenance facility was constructed south of the airport to support the shuttle bus operation and the Port’s existing employee parking bus system. This site includes six maintenance bays, a CNG fueling station and a wash/cleaning facility.
Two art projects give dramatic visual enhancement to the RCF. The two exterior helices (circular return and exit ramps) are covered with a stainless steel mesh fabric that is illuminated in multiple random colors by 60 LED lights at night. The project is by local artist Buster Simpson.
At the return shuttle location on the 5th floor, artist Linda Beaumont created “Spinning Our Wheels,” a composition of 91 six-foot tall steel discs in a mesmerizing array of brilliant colors and designs. The wheels create a playful narrative for travelers as they await the shuttle bus back to the terminal.
Rental Car Company Overview
The participating rental car companies have signed a 30-year lease with the Port. On-site facility tenants include: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, E-Z, Fox, Hertz, National, Payless, and Thrifty. One rental car company, Rent A Wreck, is off-site with a transfer shuttle from the RCF.
More Fun Facts
• There are six school bus sized buried fuel tanks that hold over 120,000 gallons of fuel (20,000 gallons each)
• The detention vault is the length of a football field and holds 1.87 million gallons of water
• 120,000 cubic yard of concrete delivered in 200 pours
• 5.5 million tons of steel
• 330 miles of post tension cable