Tips for your holiday trip
Although not the busiest time of year for Sea-Tac Airport, you may be likely to run into traffic heading to the airport during the holiday due to inexperienced travelers who fly infrequently. Here are some tips and updates to help speed and ease your journey.
Tips for avoiding congestion on the drives
Sea-Tac will continue a series of actions implemented last year to reduce the congestion on the airport drives, from adjusted signage to traffic metering by Port of Seattle Police. Of significant note, shuttles for the Rental Car Facility have reduced the number of vehicles on the drive by 160,000 each month or 1.9 million for the year.
Below are some effective tips for avoiding the congestion:
- THINK OPPOSITE! Pickup on the departure drive, drop-off on the arrivals drive – If traffic is congested, look for the opposite airport drive for relief. Try meeting your arriving guests one level up from baggage claim at the less-crowded departure drive. Those with only carry-ons can go straight out the ticketing level. For drop-offs, reverse it. Go to the arrivals drive and travelers only have to go up one level to ticketing. Remember, the busiest periods are mornings for departures and evenings for arrivals.
- Don’t get stuck in traffic! -- Park on the Terminal Direct floor of the airport parking garage, the quickest and most convenient option for meeting passengers in the terminal, and pay just $4 per hour. Or use any other floor for $3 per hour.
- Try the cell phone waiting lot -- Parking in this lot is free and drivers can wait up to 30 minutes until arriving passengers have deplaned, collected luggage and called to be picked up outside of Baggage Claim. Take advantage of the posted QR code to scan for the most recent flight arrival information. Remember, there is no parking or waiting allowed on the airport roadway shoulders.
General Travel Tips
- Pack with security in mind
Know what is and isn’t allowed in carry-ons and checked luggage by checking the TSA website. Also see if you qualify for the new TSA PreCheck program.
- Do some advance planning
Confirm your travel details and make sure the name on your boarding pass and your government-issued ID match.
- Get your boarding pass early
Print it online before you arrive or use convenient check-in kiosks in the airport garage or at airline check-in counters. Passengers with only carry-on baggage can go directly to the security checkpoint. Passengers with luggage can go to airline bag check points.
- Check the status of your flight online or via email notification
Check our flight status page for updates online or through email alerts.
- Arrive at least two hours before your flight
Give yourself time to get through security.
- Park in the Airport Garage
Save time, stay dry and be close. No shuttles, covered skybridges and you are right next to the terminal.
Traveling Internationally? Sign-up for Global Entry
Frequent international travelers can significantly speed up their clearance process through U.S. Customs and Border Protection by enrolling in Global Entry, an expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. A five-year membership is only $100. Visit the Global Entry website for more information.
Earn Airline Miles When You Park, Dine or Shop
Sea-Tac Airport partners with the Thanks Again loyalty program to offer airline miles when you park in the airport’s ParkSmart garage or make a purchase at any of our airport merchants. Enrollment is free and when you register by texting (text FLYSEATAC to 82257) you will receive 100 bonus miles. Register today and earn airline miles for purchases you already make at the airport!
Enjoy your trip!