Argo Yard Truck Roadway / East Marginal Way Phase II
The Port of Seattle is the lead agency in a coalition including the Freight Mobility Strategic Investment Board (FMSIB), the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR), Prologis and the City of Seattle, which has built a dedicated one-way truck-only roadway to provide a safer and faster truck freight route from the port marine terminals to the UPRR Argo Yard rail gate: Trucks are no longer required to enter SR-99, cross three lanes of south-bound traffic to reach the turn lane onto Diagonal Avenue South, and they do not have to wait for the signal to cross north-bound SR-99.
The new south-bound truck-only roadway provides access from the east side of the SR 99/East Marginal Way trestle underpass to the existing Colorado Avenue S cul-de-sac. The Project also includes the improvement of Colorado Avenue S and Diagonal Avenue S from the southern end of the new truck roadway to SR 99/East Marginal Way.
- East Marginal Way Phase II: Construct street improvements along East Marginal Way including the undercrossing of the SR-99 structure south of Duwamish Avenue at the north end of the Argo Yard Truck Roadway (WSDOT and POS).
The Argo Yard Truck Roadway project includes three elements:
- Element I: Maintain a 1300’ long, 16’ wide southbound dedicated truck-only roadway between the SR 99/East Marginal Way trestle underpass and the existing Colorado Avenue South cul-de-sac (POS).
- Element II: Improve the public roadway and railroad crossing along Colorado Avenue South and Diagonal Avenue South (POS).
- Element III: Construct a new automated gate system to improve efficiency for processing freight at its Argo Yard (UPRR).
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) defining partners’ roles and responsibilities was completed in January 2012. A Supplement to the MOU, the design, and project easements were completed in early 2014. Construction was completed in April 2015.
- Improves safety
- Improves air quality by reducing delay-related idling of trucks
- Facilitates greater efficiencies in intermodal and multimodal activity
- Complements major freight roadway improvements in the area
- Increases overall roadway capacity
- Incorporates and supports public/private partnerships
- Eliminates last grade crossing conflict in area for northbound route to East Marginal Way overpass.
Costs by Element
|EMWGS Phase II
|Argo Element I
|Argo Element II
|Argo Element III
Argo Yard Truck Access
Download a map here