Argo Yard Truck Roadway / East Marginal Way Phase II
The Port of Seattle is the lead agency in a coalition including the Freight Mobility Strategic Investment Board (FMSIB), the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR), Prologis and the City of Seattle, which has built a dedicated one-way truck-only roadway to provide a safer and faster truck freight route from the port marine terminals to the UPRR Argo Yard rail gate: Trucks are no longer required to enter State Route 99, cross three lanes of south-bound traffic to reach the turn lane onto Diagonal Avenue South, and they do not have to wait for the signal to cross northbound SR 99.
The new southbound truck-only roadway provides access from the east side of the SR 99/East Marginal Way trestle underpass to the existing Colorado Avenue South cul-de-sac. The project also included the improvement of Colorado Avenue South and Diagonal Avenue South from the southern end of the new truck roadway to SR 99/East Marginal Way.
- East Marginal Way Phase II: Constructed street improvements along East Marginal Way including the undercrossing of the SR 99 structure south of Duwamish Avenue at the north end of the Argo Yard Truck Roadway (WSDOT and POS).
The Argo Yard Truck Roadway project included three elements:
- Element I: Maintained a 1300-foot long, 16-foot wide southbound dedicated truck-only roadway between the SR 99/East Marginal Way trestle underpass and the existing Colorado Avenue South cul-de-sac (POS).
- Element II: Improved the public roadway and railroad crossing along Colorado Avenue South and Diagonal Avenue South (POS).
- Element III: Constructed a new automated gate system to improve efficiency for processing freight at its Argo Yard (UPRR).
Construction was completed in April 2015.
- Improves safety
- Improves air quality by reducing delay-related idling of trucks
- Facilitates greater efficiencies in intermodal and multimodal activity
- Complements major freight roadway improvements in the area
- Increases overall roadway capacity
- Incorporates and supports public/private partnerships
- Eliminates last grade crossing conflict in area for northbound route to East Marginal Way overpass.
Costs by Element
|EMWGS Phase II
|Argo Element I
|Argo Element II
|Argo Element III
Argo Yard Truck Access
Download a map here