Connections to our friends and family should always come first. But real life is busy and complicated. And there’s never enough time with the people that mean the most to you.
At SEA Airport, we know that Moments Matter, like:
- Hugging grandpa the minute he gets off the plane
- Catching up with your childhood friend on his layover
- Spending precious moments with your daughter before her deployment
- Surprising her with flowers at the gate because you can’t wait another minute
We’ve been thinking about this a lot. And planning even more.
2018 pilot program
In November 2018, we were the first airport on the West Coast to test out the concept. SEA launched a three week pilot project to let visitors who were not travelling that day into the airport past security. And we asked if you thought it was a good idea. (You did).
- More than a thousand of you came and spent time with important people in your lives. Some days, all spots were filled within a few minutes.
- You ate, you drank, you visited, you surprised, and you hugged more. And that’s all good.
- You said you loved it and would highly recommended it to others.
- You wanted more flexible times and to be able to come every day of the week.
- You wanted to be able to plan in advance and book last minute
- And you told us about it and posted warm fuzzy photos on social media. And we got love letters. Lots of them.
(BTW, we had big smiles on our faces watching you spend time with your people. And we 💕 you too!)
More moments ahead
We heard you and incorporated all those changes. Here we go — let’s do this!
SEA Visitor Pass is now available seven days a week! You can enter the post-security side of the airport even if you're not traveling that day.
Here’s how it works:
- 200 visitors per day are admitted between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. seven days a week. You can stay in the terminal until 10:00 p.m. but the last entrance is 9:00 p.m.
- Enter general security at Checkpoint 3; expedited security programs can’t be used with this program.
- Apply online on the same day or up to seven days in advance.
Moments that matter
Our hearts are full from your moments and your letters. Here are a few of our favorites from 2018. You will hear some of these stories in future blog posts.
Zac and Lauryl
Zac surprised Lauryl with flowers at the gate when she came home from a business trip. They’re getting married this March.
Kenley was at the gate with a sign and a big hug for grandpa when he arrived to celebrate her birthday.
Sarah got some help from her mother getting to the gate with toddler Emilee as she flew home from Seattle after a visit with her parents. Emilee loves airplanes, so she got extra snuggles from Grandma while they watched planes take off and land.
And we got letters. Lots of them!
I just received your email announcing your trial period for letting 50 people/day go through security without a boarding pass at the airport. I am nearly jumping up and down with excitement. An airport visit used to be such a fun and learning process for our younger generations and was a great place to eat and people watch. It also made the airport feel like 'ours' (us locals) and not just 'theirs' (the travelers from far and wide). We would become familiar with where things we located and could give our friends/relatives advice about where to go, what to see or hear, etc. on their layovers at the airport. I intend to apply for a pass and to bring my 93 yr. old Mom. We will wander around, look at the shops and eat dinner. Thank you so much for being willing to step outside the box and give this a try ... decades ago it was not uncommon for non-travelers to simply choose to have an 'airport experience' ... I have missed seeing many friends/acquaintances who were at the airport for a couple of hours — not enough time to make it worthwhile to leave and have to re-enter security. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I have been asking for such a program for years! I do not fly very often, but find Sea-Tac Airport exciting, and, as a Port of Seattle taxpayer, want to enjoy all the airport has to offer post-TSA checkpoint. Thanks so much for this pilot program.
- Apply for SEA Visitor Pass
- Learn more at SEA Visitor Pass Frequently Asked Questions
- Find more ideas in the Top Things to Do with SEA Visitor Pass
- And share your moments on social media at #SEAVisitorPass!