The Port of Seattle tracks Women/Minority Business Enterprises (WMBE) participation for those firms that identify themselves as a WMBE business. The Port is committed to selecting and increasing the utilization of WMBE businesses in its contracting process.
One of the main goals is to triple the number of WMBE firms that contract with the Port and increase the percentage of dollars spent on WMBE contracts to 15 percent within 5 years of program implementation of the Diversity in Contracting Program.
Commitment to Diversity
To meet this objective, the Port of Seattle will:
- Train Port staff on available resources to include WMBE firms in their procurement and contracting
- Expand technical assistance to women- and minority-owned businesses, including certification, business development, training, and mentoring programs for WMBE firms to enhance bidding expertise and promote greater coordination with advocacy organizations, businesses, individuals, and public agencies and other Port departments
- Create opportunities for members of the contracting and vendor community, Port, and other stakeholders to work together on increasing diversity in contracting
- Provide resources to potential Port contractors on organizations and agencies that can help recruit, mentor, and prepare them for participating in Port procurement
- Cooperate with the Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises and other public agencies
- Monitor and measure these goals regularly
- Demonstrate accountability by incorporating WMBE goals into the Port’s Long Range Plan scorecards, reports, and Long Range Plan updates
- Port of Seattle Commission Policy Directive on Diversity in Contracting
- Glossary of the commonly used term in Diversity in Contracting
The Port conducts quarterly workshops to provide information about doing business with the Port as it relates to construction, consulting, goods and services, and airport concessions.
Port representatives from Central Procurement, Small Business, Project Management, and Airport Dining and Retail share information about upcoming opportunities. Attendees learn about business certifications and technical assistance resources from guest speakers. These sessions provide a valuable networking opportunity.
Sign-up for notifications on upcoming PortGen and contracting events on the events page.