Apply for a $1,000 scholarship by June 4!
Annually, the Port of Seattle Chapter of Blacks in Government (BIG) awards two deserving students enrolled in college for the upcoming fall with a Scholarship Award of $1,000 each. Applicants are judged by their Academic Achievements and Community Service. Two recipients will awarded $1000 in a virtual online ceremony on June 16, 2021.
- Reside in either King, Snohomish, Kitsap, Whatcom, or Skagit counties in Washington state.
- Graduate from high school this year.
- Demonstrate involvement in community service.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership skills and academic achievement.
- Be enrolled in college for the upcoming fall.
- Submit a completed Scholarship Application, including a personal statement, by June 4, 2021.
Please see the email and mailing instructions below.
What to include when you submit your application
- The completed Scholarship Application
- School transcript(s) indicating the current GPA, courses taken, and grades received.
- Two letters of reference from non-relatives. One from an organization where the applicant is involved in community service; and, one reference letter from a school administrator.
- A one-page minimum personal statement about your family background, career aspiration, community involvement, why a higher education is important to you, and any reasons why you should be selected to receive the Port of Seattle Chapter of Blacks in Government Scholarship.
- Completed applications must be received by June 4, 2021.
- You may send your application via email or US Mail.
- Email your electronic application (with signed attachments) to:
Abel Fisshaye, Scholarship Chairman
- Mail your hardcopy application with signed attachments to:
Blacks in Government
Port of Seattle Chapter
Attention: Scholarship Committee
3919 18th Ave. West
Seattle, WA 98119
Contact Abel Fisshaye at Fisshaye.firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.