Led by Washington Governor Jay Inslee and the Washington Department of Commerce, the Nordic Study and Trade Mission is intended to affirm, highlight, and expand upon the significant cultural, diplomatic, economic, industrial, political and policy ties between Washington State and the Nordic countries. Commissioner Calkins will also make stops in Sweden. The Port will use the trade mission to explore implementation of zero carbon and renewable energy solutions, as well as maritime innovation projects.
Port of Seattle trade delegation activity highlights include:
- Delegation visits to the U.S. Embassies in Helsinki and Oslo with Governor Inslee.
- A visit to VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, one of Finland’s largest research institutions, created to advance utilization of and commercialization of research and technology in commerce and society.
- A visit to KTH Royal Institute and the Wallenberg Wood Science Center in Stockholm, a research center with a focus on new materials from trees.
- A visit to Maritime Competence Center in Aalesund, Norway, a high-tech business cluster.
- A visit to Oceantech Innovation, Trondheim to explore technology designed to support offshore wind, aquaculture transport, and maritime industries.
This trade mission supports the Port’s effort to be the greenest and most energy efficient port in America. The mission provides an opportunity to learn from Nordic countries that have partnered with innovative cluster organizations to shift from fossil fuels to renewable resources.
Kathy Roeder | Port of Seattle Director of External Relations, Communication, and Marketing
(206) 787-4882 | firstname.lastname@example.org