Safety is a daily relentless pursuit at the Port of Seattle. Our vision is that every employee goes home safely and is accountable for safety. We foster an environment where employees have a voice in not just providing ideas for safety improvement, but voicing concerns and addressing hazards timely. We strive for a strong safety culture where any worker can feel comfortable reminding a manager or supervisor to wear safety gear or address an unsafe condition. Likewise co-workers routinely look out for one another and point out unsafe actions and conditions to each other.
Some of our specific strategies and programs include:
- Starting every team meeting with a safety moment
- Employee driven Safety Solution Teams where employees are actively engaged in continuous safety improvement processes.
- A commitment to task specific safety training and refresher courses to elevate employee safety engagement
- Behavior Based Safety Training provides communication and feedback to tool for employees to address observed safety performance
- Use of mobile devices to report near misses and hazards
- Using internal news channels to share stories and video with tips, advisories, and lessons learned
- An annual Safety Award program where departments and teams are personally recognized by the Port's Executive Director.