The Port contracts with Port Jobs to support Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Employment for Women's (ANEW) Apprenticeship Opportunities Project (AOP). AOP supports unemployed or under-employed King County residents who want to pursue a living-wage career in the construction industry or other skilled trades. Services include individualized assessment and referrals, pre-apprenticeship training, assistance applying for apprenticeships, support to help ensure successful apprenticeship completion, and job placement assistance.
Some highlights from the Apprentice Opportunity Project in 2013 include:
- 236 people were enrolled in AOP services
- 92% of the participants were low-income
- 156 started a Registered Apprenticeship
- Average starting wage was $20.07/hr.
- These new apprenticeships mean over $5.2 million in annual earnings for local families