August is National Dog Month – Keep your four-legged friend safe in this heat!
While enjoying the sunny days outdoors with your furry friends, be aware of these summer pet safety tips:
Never leave pets hot cars
- Even with windows open, the inside of cars heat up quickly.
Keep them cool and hydrated
- Make sure they have plenty of access to shade and cool places to relax
- Provide plenty of fresh clean water at all times, add some ice to help cool them down
Avoid burned paws
- Keep walks and exercise time to a minimum
- Walk and exercise during the cool hours of the morning and evening
- If the pavement is too hot for the back of your hand it’s too hot for their paws, stick to the grass
Know the early warning signs of overheating
- Heavy panting, drooling
- Excessive thirst
- Stumbling staggering
If you notice any of these symptoms get your pet to a cool place, apply cool damp towels and call your vet.
Photo credit: Anna Budden