Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and national emergency declaration, the REAL ID enforcement deadline has been extended to October 1, 2021. More information is available on id2021wa.com with informational videos in the following languages:
What is the Real ID Act? What does it affect?
Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005 to help combat terrorism and identity theft. The law set new requirements for identification that federal agencies may accept for domestic air travel and entrance to certain federal facilities. To comply, a state must create an ID that requires applicants to provide proof of identity and legal U.S. residency, as well as counterfeit-resistant security features. All states must comply with the law before it takes effect on Oct. 1, 2021. Discover the full list of accepted ID documents under REAL ID.
REAL ID will affect access to places controlled by the federal government: Airport security checkpoints, U.S. border crossings, and Secure federal buildings (like military facilities).
When does it start?
On Oct. 1, 2021, the REAL ID law goes into effect in Washington state. TSA Agents will accept standard licenses until the end of September 2021. To see if you're ready take the quiz.
Where can I access more information?
- Department of Homeland Security for information on the REAL ID law
- Washington Department of Licensing for information on enhanced and standard driver's licenses and ID cards and www.ID2021WA.com
- Transportation Security Administration for information on documents needed to fly
What forms of identification work for the Real ID Act?
Here are some of the options that will work for air travel when REAL ID goes into effect on Oct. 1, 2021. Find the full list here.
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- U.S. Military ID
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- Enhanced Driver License (EDL
- Enhanced Identification Card (EID)
- Federally Recognized, Tribal-issued Photo ID
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
ALL INFORMATION ABOVE IS PROVIDED BY WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING AND CAN BE FOUND ON www.ID2021WA.com