Animated versions of a modernized North Satellite: Click to view an animated video of the interior of the facility.
The North Satellite Modernization Project is the expansion and renovation of a 45-year-old facility to better serve passengers with more choices and amenities for an enhanced travel experience. This investment by the Port of Seattle and Alaska Airlines will be built to preserve resources and meet our strict sustainability standards. The entire venue will open up with natural light and views of the airfield and mountains, befitting of a world-class airport.
- Read the press release about the groundbreaking of the North Satellite Modernization Project.
- NEW! Check out the images of the Alaska Lounge coming in 2019
- Watch phase one construction in a time lapse. This first phase will be open in Q1 2019
North Satellite Renovation Details
Build in two phases, beginning with the expansion of eight gates to the west of the current facility, followed by renovation.
Estimated Project Costs
Funding for the project will come from a combination of airline fees and Airport Development Fund and Passenger Facility Charge revenues.
- As with virtually all airport projects, no Port of Seattle taxes will be used.
- The estimated cost for the Port’s portion of the North Satellite Moderinzation is $658.3 million.
- Alaska Airlines will contribute an estimated $41 million to build the new lounge and employee spaces.
|Estimated Capital Cost Summary||Port of Seattle Budget|
|North Satellite Renovation
(Not including Alaska Airlines costs for Board Room and employee spaces - $41,000,000)
|Vertical Circulation, Concourse C||$ 15,900,000|
|Refurbish Baggage System||$ 19,300,000|
|Overall Management Costs||$ 4,300,000|
|Current Total Project Estimate||$ 697,800,000|
North Satellite Modernization brings together the north satellite renovation and several parallel projects described below. Construction will take place in stages in order to minimize impact to passengers.
To be completed: December 2019
Travelers connecting between Concourse C, the North Satellite and the Main Terminal will see a major upgrade to the space accessing the Satellite Train System’s (STS) after a year long closure beginning in January 2019.
North Satellite Baggage System
Completed: Spring 2015
Renovated the existing baggage systems associated with the north satellite by replacing worn belts, bearings, gearboxes, shafts and rollers; upgraded system controls and programming to increase the speed of transfers, extend system life, improve long-term reliability and decrease operating and maintenance costs.